It’s James Cameron’s world, we’re just living in it.

 https://variety.com/2023/film/news/james-cameron-dominates-box-office-titanic-re-release-avatar-2-1235520488/

    I’ve been a fan of James Cameron since I watched “Titanic” (1997) for the first time. I don’t remember how old I was (sometime in elementary school) but it quickly became one of my earliest childhood obsessions. But, for whatever reason, I waited a longer to watch “Avatar” (2009), despite being the highest-grossing movie of all time. I finally watched it in 2020 and once again, became obsessed.   

    Finally, 13 years later, “Avatar: The Way of Water” (TWOW) was released in theaters at the end of 2022, and since it was released, I’ve already watched it twice. I loved the original Avatar and I love James Cameron’s directing, so it was everything I could want in a movie. 

James Cameron at the "Avatar TWOW" Premiere 

    Since its release, I’ve been monitoring the box office to see how it performs. Over the past 9 weeks, I’ve watched it work its way up the list of highest-grossing films of all time. 

    

    Before "Avatar TWOW" released, James Cameron did something a little different from other directors, he re-released “Avatar” (2009) months before the sequel, the added revenue went to the efforts of reclaiming the title of the "highest-grossing film of all time", after “Avengers Endgame” took the title in 2019. 

   

    Now, Cameron’s doing it again, this time with “Titanic”. The movie was re-released in honor of its 25th anniversary. Not to mention, it was already re-released back in 2012, to commemorate 100 years since the actual Titanic sank. These re-releases have definitely helped to solidify Cameron as one of the most profitable directors of all time. Currently, Cameron's films are 3 of the top 4 highest grossing films of all time, in order are, “Avatar” (2009), “Avengers Endgame” (2019), “Titanic” (1997), and “Avatar: TWOW” (2022).


    Cameron has found himself in a unique position. Presently, two of his best movies are competing with each other at the box office. “Avatar TWOW” just finished its 9th weekend since its release and a Variety article suggests that it is expected that “Avatar TWOW” will take over “Titanic” and become the third highest-grossing film of all time. Currently, “Avatar TWOW” is only $7.4 million away from reaching “Titanic” and last weekend added $25.8 million compared to “Titanic’s” $22.3 million. 


     Anyway, I know it's all about the profits, but I’m excited for Cameron, despite him having more money than I will ever see in my life. James Cameron has always been one of my favorite directors and I don’t care if it’s impractical. 


   

    Also, a fun fact, Zoe Saldana (who plays Neytiri in the Avatar franchise), is also in “Avengers Endgame” (as Gamora). Saldana gets bragging rights for being in 3 of the 4 highest-grossing films of all time. And Kate Winslet (who famously played Rose in “Titanic”) returns to work with Cameron on “Avatar TWOW” making it the second time Winslet has worked with Cameron, and in both cases, it happens to include a lot of water and a sinking ship. 

Kate Winslet (Top) in "Titanic" and Zoe Saldana (Bottom) in "Avatar TWOW"


  

Comments

  1. James Cameron is definitely an interesting director and writer, so I appreciate you talking about his work. I enjoyed getting to know a little more about you and your interests through this article.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts